- Lead the development and implementation of the site R&D strategy including alignment with the site objectives and Global R&D
- Responsibility for leading the development, scale-up, registration/validation of drug substance, particle engineering and drug development programs for the site
- Promote the scientific excellence and innovation in the area and contribute with technical expertise to expand the Intellectual Property, product and technology portfolios.
- Establish the main objectives for the area, aligning these with R&D and company’s corporate strategy
- Establish a clear site R&D strategy including resources, capital investment, new technologies etc in order to meet customer and business needs
- Ensure the development of safe, efficient, scalable, timely and cost-effective processes of commercial interest to the company
- Identify and assess new business opportunities, trends and market needs, in collaboration with commercial colleagues, and ensure the use of up to date / best technology, processes and work practices
- Facilitate and manage a culture of innovation within the group focused upon creating new technology value and solving existing technical challenges in alignment with the global R&D strategy
- Develop and manage metrics designed to monitor performance and improves efficiencies, quality and HSE culture within the area
- Devise and coordinate the implementation of new procedures or the change of existing ones, according to ruling COPs, SOPs and IOPs
- Represent the R&D area (or nominate delegates) on meetings with clients, external and internal audits and for Product/Project teams.
- Ensure the information flows between the R&D areas, the several internal and external customers and stakeholders
- Promote scientific activities (i.e. seminars, congress participations, innovation ideas, papers and publications), innovation and implementation of new methodologies within the R&D area
- Manage the R&D team including recruitment, integration, training needs and performance management in accordance with the company’s HR policies and ensuring the team is aligned and motivated towards achieving company’s goals.
- Develop and propose for approval the short and mid-term goals, annual budget and budget plan in line with the corporate strategy, in order to align activities with company’s strategic objectives.
- Prepare and propose the annual area budget for the annual site R&D budget.
- Ensure compliance with GMP and HSE guidelines, internal and external requirements as well as promote the implementation and maintenance of Hovione´s policies, systems and procedures (COPs, HBR, SOPs and others).
- PhD or Masters’ degree in one of the following areas Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years of relevant experience in Research & Development or Manufacturing Sciences in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Demonstrated track record in building R&D capabilities, ideally within in a CDMO environment
- Client relationship experience
- Possess extensive knowledge of Heat Transfer, Scale-up, Process Safety and Industrial Operations, or of drug product unit operations, solids flow phenomena and process equipment principals and practices, and is able to lead others on them
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Skilled at driving processes and tools
- Fluency in English is a requirement
- Must have the Knowledge, Experience and Skills to conduct their tasks in accordance with the rules and procedures set down.